Thursday, February 26, 2009

Just An Appetizer



It would seem to some of you that I am taking my sweet time posting about what may very well be the highlight of my year.
( California Open Competition Weekend. )
(Notice my usage of capitalization so as to emphasize its importance.)


Well, that "some of you" would be correct. I have been stalling. I am holding out for photos. I will continue stalling and holding back details until the photos arrive and I can give the weekend its proper love and recognition here.






This is (Me!) the brave girl and her dance teacher (or is it the girl with her brave dance teacher?) all dressed up, made up, and bedazzled and just about ready to dance.
We competed Pro/Am.
Pro/Am: When a professional dancer partners an amateur student like myself.
(I use the term amateur loosely here, as I am more of a dancing infant.)







Here is a closer look at the hair:
You are seeing rhinestones that were glued across my forehead and meticulously pinned into place here in the back. More than an hour of twisting, pinning, hairspraying, hair extension securing and flat out love went into bringing this head of hair to the dancefloor that morning.



For this I thank my teacher's professional partner for sacrificing her sleep after a late flight into town, and waking up before the roosters, just to help me out.



She is also the force behind the make-up and the dress.





I had no concept, really, of how much time and energy goes into looking the part.





I also had no concept of how many hairpins go into looking the part.



A Million Forkets.
Forket: Bulgarian for Hairpin
A new word for me.


Here is a picture of the actual hairpins I removed from my hair while taking it down:

(P.S. I am certain I dropped a few - and since my hair was the texture and firmness of a basketball and the pins crunched as I removed them, I fear there still may be a few left in my hair today.)






More to come later...

2 comments:

  1. You look awesome! This is great history in the making. Tina the professional ballroom dancer. I love it! There are many competitions here in NY you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No dear, you were more of a dancing infant when you were in my stomach! You've been dancing ever since - and gotten much better over the years, I might add. Congratulations! You look absolutely beautiful!

    Love,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete