Saturday, February 14, 2009

A Personal Triumph

I flew in an airplane. This is huge news. Because of a frightening airplane experience about 8 years ago, I have not travled in an airplane for 8 years. Interestingly, the reason I haven't flown is not exactly because of the scary plane thing like most people think - though, that could be reason enough to justify my fear.
The reason I have refused to fly is because of the flight AFTER the scary flight.
I was on my way to a family reunion with Paul and the kids.

We booked a flight.

No problem.

We boarded the flight.

No problem.

The flight took off.

Problem.

Honestly, I had not even given any thought to the "bad" flight since we arrived home safely and got on with our lives. However, my body knew something my mind did not know. Somewhere down deep, I must have been scared. First, I had a little trouble breathing, then I was hyperventilating, then I was shaking in my seat. All the while I am thinking - this is ridiculous,
but sometimes logic doesn't reign. I was in a bit of a panic.


I was mortified.

I was terrified.

And then, eventually, I was fine. (Kinda)

Still, it was kind of a freaky incident. That I couldn't reason my way out of it, just bothered me in a way I cannot describe. The fact that I could not predict whether or not it could happen again, or if I could stop it if it did, was enough for me to resign myself to road trips indefinitely.
I love road trips anyway.


Well, it was time.

And, it WAS time.

I reserved a flight that was my ticket to doing something I really wanted to do.


I booked the flight.

No Problem.

I boarded the flight.

No problem.

The flight took off.

No Problem.

I told myself that I was on a very large bus. I took a book, but instead chatted with a friend the whole way. At times my bus was a little fast, tilted, and bumpy, but I really tried not to notice. Once I looked up from my seat, and my bus really resembled an airplane. I got a little nervous and scared, I won't lie, but then I returned to my conversation and forgot about it. My bus landed, and I was in California.

Triumphant. Isn't the mind a wonderful thing?

5 comments:

  1. I am so PROUD of you for this amazing weekend. You have accomplished so much. And selfishly I'm so glad to have a new travel buddy for when our husbands allow us to fly to NYC for the weekend. I NEEDED you to be able to fly again, so thanks!! Come home soon, we miss you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Honey, I am proud of you! Way to use the power of the Mind to create a safe haven. Maybe Puerto Rico in the near future!?

    Love, Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you baby!!! Now maybe sometime you'll make a trip to Kansas???? :)

    Love ya

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. The old folks at home would be just tickled to see you in Puerto Rico!!! Can you just imagine?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tina, a bus??? I can't believe you. That is brilliant, ingenious, and hilarious. You are a psychological wizz! I have been waiting and waiting for this triumphant day. I am so happy that you have rejoined the travelers of America. (I hope this means that you are now considering a trip to NYC. Amalia, me and Zack are here. You could come visit us and take advantage of all the sales and go get some deals at Z's company store... Oh just think of all you can do if this really does mean you are a flight taker.) Ha ha... whatever ... I am just proud and happy that you took a big bus ride. So proud!

    ReplyDelete