Sunday, February 22, 2009

Legs Tired... Arms Tired... EVERYTHING Tired...

Welcome to my world.

Land of the delighted toddler who has mastered
the recently acquired talent
of climbing out of his crib.
Here is a question for you:
How many times must you return an escaped toddler to his bed before he finally gives in and goes to sleep?
That probably sounded like a riddle, but it's not.
I don't know the answer.
It's a number higher than I can count.
A toddler doesn't just get out of his crib, he triumphantly escapes.
He bursts open the door of his bedroom with absolute celebration.
He runs down the hall, down the stairs, down to wherever you are, and then he smiles at you in a really HUGE way.
He doesn't notice that you are not smiling back.
Here is a simple truth for you:
When you are engaged in toddler bedtime warfare,
and it comes down to who will have the most energy
- the toddler for climbing out of the crib, or you for putting him back into the crib -
He wins.
And he knows it.

1 comment:

  1. That is TOO funny! I vaguely remember that with Elsa, and am wondering how it will play out with Isa who I imagine will discover how to climb out of her crib shortly. I'm just worried about the bit THUMP that will accompany it and hope there are no broken bones!

    With Elsa, she broke her crib from bouncing in it, so we didn't have a choice, but that was about when I got a really good baby gate and she got big girl bed. I took most of her toys out of her room leaving a handful of books and handful of toys. More often than not, I would find her asleep on the floor in front of her gate. But she learned. They all do eventually.

    Just remember, YOU are the boss Tina, not him! (Repeat this ten times). LOL

    ReplyDelete