Saturday, March 28, 2009

Normal.

Normal is a curious concept.

Example: I walked in on my girls cleaning up.
(Okay, the cleaning up part is not exactly normal for them, but stay with me...)
They were playing music very loudly on a cd player they had borrowed and relocated from another place in the house. The lights were turned off. The disco ball was turned on and swirling multi-colored lights around the room. The girls were dancing wildly while they tossed laundry into their hamper and made their beds.

This made me smile.

1. Because my girls were cleaning (wha?!)
2. Because this is exactly how I clean (sans disco ball & lights off - every parent dreams of their children "one-upping" right?)
3. Because my children consider this perfectly normal.

I love our brand of normal!

Also NORMAL:

*Singing showtunes at breakfast. Loud. Uninhibited. Between Bites. Will it be Annie, Wicked or Sound of Music or Scarlet Pimpernel this morning?
*Trash talking over board games. "You're going down!" "Prepare to lose!" and "Up for a good whomping?" Are typical game starters.
*Losing a hand if you dare encroach on the perimeter of another family member's popcorn bowl.
*Ice Chomping and Straw Biting.
*Ignoring the telephone. Because we can.
*Hugging in Excess. Each other. Our Neighbors. Our Friends & Extended Family. Our Cat (She is not fond of this). Random strangers who give us directions...
*The understanding that Thrifty's Chocolate Malted Crunch ice-cream can instantly cure any brand of hurt, sadness, or state of unwell.

What's normal at your house?

3 comments:

  1. Will you adopt us into your family?
    I can't believe you wrote this post just for me -
    It's just so our normal!
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving your normal! You can stay, but you must bring your own popcorn bowls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you Tina. YOur normal is my normal. No wonder we love each other!!

    ReplyDelete